Wednesday, February 5, 2014

GOVT: 2305-003- 46858 Obama starts marijuana fad? in 2014? I don't think so.

The article,  "Obama must take hit for pot talk," by, Alex Barazow, caught my attention because of the biased stance he takes on marijuana. Barazow arguments relied on generalities and personal opinion rather than informed statistics. Furthermore, another topic of interest was the claim of the "Clinton-Lewenski effect" that Barazow links with HPV (Human Papillomavirus) and correlates with the seperation of oral sex and sexual intercourse. This argument is rather insufficient and appeals to the right-wing policies. This article is reeks of conservative tones and plays to the usual political attacks that are so common in today's politics. Alex Barazow is a co-author of Science Left Behind, a book that claims to have no political affiliation, clearly hammers home conservative view points.The title alone should give the readers an insight on who Alex Berezow is. Alex Barazow has appeared on Fox news and MSNBC. The former is the legendary news outlet that claims unbiased reporting but is rather one-sided. I'm not suggesting that Fox is the only "news" station with a slant, in fact every single media outlet has a benefactor with outside influences. I tend to look at "news" with complete disregard because our society tends to care more about celebrities than actual real world problems/tragedies. I digress, Barazow ineffectively argues that the "Clinton-Lewenski effect" has flipped the whole meaning of sexual intercourse. He states when the President Clinton said ,:"I did not have sexual relations with that women," this statement basically increased oral sex activity . because the president deemed it a non sexual relationship. I believe this rise in oral sex is attributed to the lack of sex education/ knowledge and the ever expanding digital world. Barazow then tries to use that 'Clinton-Lewenski effect" to connect President Obama's recent comment on marijuana. Obama simply stated "I don't think (marijuana) is more dangerous than alcohol." Even though he states that scientist are not sure the long term affects, I'm absolutely positive that alcohol is far more dangerous than marijuana. I would like to compare death tolls of alcohol related deaths with marijuana related deaths; a large contrast to say the least. Not to mention the devastation alcohol has on the physical and mental aspects of the human body; alcohol even creates its own gene! I don't believe I have come across any study regarding marijuana creating its own gene, rendering the human body to be addictive. As any reader can tell, I don't agree with Barazow and find it hard to believe he holds a degree in microbiology. I don't believe that a Presidents word can alter a person's opinion. The president is merely a public figure representing the United States. Like I stated earlier we as a society hold up celebrities much higher than any President.

No comments:

Post a Comment